Saturday, July 26, 2008

15 states and counting!

Blessings everyone! I am playing a little catch up here on the blog again. Sis Kris, Skyler and Jack already came :-D and went :-( and during our grand time together my birthday came around again. But that is the NEXT blog!
So... after leaving Tennessee mid July I headed straight North through Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and into New York!
Kentucky... Horse capitol of the world! Heaven for me! I stayed three days at the Kentucky Horse Park campground in Lexington. The day at the horse park was fabulous. I saw so many different and unusual breeds and many gorgeous retired champions. Loved it! The next day I went on a "Bluegrass horse farm tour." These luxuious farms are unbelieveable even when you see them! Did you know that a stallion who sires a Kentucky Derby winner can get up to 1.2 million bucks to impregnate a single mare? And he does it four times PER DAY!!! What a life... but the truth is, the whole racing/breeding world is frought with practices that weigh heavy on a true horse lovers heart. But it was still an overall great experience to be there. The only thing that could have made it better was if my momma had been with me! Miss you Mom!

























Ohio was unique on this trip so far. The scenery alternated between postcard perfect farms with huge barns and fields, to quaint old looking towns with huge coal refineries dotted along the edge of the Ohio River. I took side/scenic roads along the river and enjoyed viewing lanscape completely unlike any I've been through so far. I even happenned upon this ideal spot to sleep one night right on the river bank and woke to the sound of canadian geese flying and honking through the fog and mist. Very cool!

Look! A tiny town with the nick-name I've been called in my family my entire life - Duff(y)! I had a good long talk with my sis Kris parked right in front of that sign with the house right across the street being almost completely reclaimed by Mother Nature.
Pennsylvia is gorgous too. I've always dreamed of living on a farm to experience the way of life, maybe just for a season, and relished the opportunity to see so many big beautiful working farms. Between the farmed fields, animal pastures and open forests there is so much soul restorative open space!










I even found my way to an old genuine mill complete with covered bridge! It was SO pretty I just had to go closer to the river to get the perfect shot. I ended up slipping on a mossy rock and WHAM - ended up on my hip, back and elbow with the wind knocked out of me! As I sat there making sure nothing was broken and trying to regain my ability to breath, I simultaneously noticed two things; one - I was steadily soaking up water from a puddle into the seat of my shorts and, two - there before me was the ideal shot of the covered bridge. So despite my wet butt, bloody elbow and questionable oxygen intake, I got out the camera and captured the scene. Nice perspective don't you think?





The best part (almost) was finally finding my way back to the RV just as it began to rain and then seeing a sign on my way out that I missed on my way in. The name of the park... wait for it...! "Slippery Rock State Park"! Ah the humor... but I'm fine, continually grateful and all is well.







Huge love and hugs. I am missing you all, so please stay in touch!
Stef

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stef,


I am enjoying so much viewing your pictures and reading your gorgeous writings. You are indeed a poet. The scenes that you
describe and the passion that you live with is an inspiration. Thank you for allowing me to step inside your courageous world of self-discovery. I know all the Goddess babes honor you and appreciate your every word.


It was such a deep joy for me to sing to you at Sheila's that night. I won't forget your beautiful face as I sang those words
to you. From my heart to yours. Blessings on your journeys.


Love, light, laughter,
Gretchen